Spring is the perfect time to give your home a deep clean — including your plumbing. Over time, your pipes can become clogged with debris, hair, and other materials, leading to slow drains and other plumbing problems. And there’s nothing worse than standing in a puddle of water during your shower.
By following these simple steps, you can keep your plumbing running smoothly. Not only that, you can help prevent more serious (and more expensive) issues from occurring down the road.
1. Inspect Your Pipes
The first step in spring cleaning your plumbing is to inspect your pipes. Check for any signs of leaks, such as water stains or dampness around pipes.
Also, make sure that all of your pipes are properly insulated to prevent freezing during the winter months.
2. Clear Out The Drains
One of the most common causes of plumbing problems is clogged drains. Start by removing any hair or debris from the drain cover, then use a plunger to try to clear the blockage.
For more stubborn clogs, you may need to use a drain snake or call in a professional plumber like CDL.
3. Flush Your Water Heater
Your water heater works hard all year, and spring is a great time to give it some attention. By flushing your water heater, you can remove sediment and build-up caused by minerals in the water. Over time, this build-up could cause your heater to fail.
Here’s how to flush your water heater:
- Start by turning off the power or gas supply to the water heater, then turn off the cold water supply.
- Connect a hose to the drain valve and run it outside, then open the valve to drain the tank.
- Once the tank is empty, turn the cold water supply back on and let the tank fill up.
- Turn the power or gas supply back on.
4. Check Your Faucets
One leaky faucet could cost you a lot of money per year in wasted water. Plus, it can lead to more serious plumbing problems down the pipeline.
Make sure to check all of your faucets for leaks or drips. If you notice any worn-out washers or seals, replace them.
5. Clean Your Garbage Disposal
If you have a garbage disposal, it’s important to keep it clean to prevent clogs and odors. Here’s how to clean it:
- Start by running hot water down the drain for a few minutes to loosen any debris.
- Turn off the water and add a handful of ice cubes and a few lemon wedges.
- Turn on the disposal and run it until the ice and lemon have been ground up.
6. Book a Spring Cleaning With CDL
Regularly cleaning drains prevents blockages, but using drain cleaners puts a wear on the pipes. Hiring a professional drain cleaning service helps.
Here are a few reasons you should consider booking your plumbing spring cleaning with us:
- We’re more efficient and effective than what you can do at home
- We take the work off your spring cleaning to-do list
- We take the safety of your pipes very seriously
- It probably doesn’t cost as much as you think it does
- We provide peace of mind of a job done right
Contact us today to learn more about our services and to get a free quote. We look forward to helping you check one more item off your to-do list this spring!